Wednesday, March 30, 2011

SUN = GOOD!

I've been working in the fitness industry for several years now. One of the things I do with my clients is a dietary analysis and the one thing that almost consistently shows up in every analysis I do is a severe vitamin D deficiency, even when all other vitamins and minerals are meeting the needed goals.
People are not only getting less vitamin D in their diets but they are also unaware of the fact that sunlight is the easiest way to get this essential nutrient. On top of that, the cosmetic industry has gone out of their way to scare people into thinking sunlight will do a number of HORRIBLE things to your skin. This simply isn't true.
The last straw for me came when my mother went to the doctor to find out that she had shrunk 3 inches in a matter of a few years. The reason? A vitamin D deficiency! 
I created this blog to make people aware of the undeniable fact that moderated sun exposure far outweighs the possible harm that can come from irresponsible sun exposure. It's time we let out bodies absorb sunlight the way it needs to and I want to do everything I can to reach out to people and let them know that the sun is not the enemy it has been made out to be and that avoiding it is FAR worse for your health than a healthy amount of regular exposure.

5 comments:

  1. You are correct! I quit tanning years ago due to my fair complexion and age. I had been using sunscreen all of the time. Recently, I was diagnosed with severe vitamin D deficiency and prescribed medication. Before I started taking the pills I decided to try sunlight therapy and it works! 15 minutes a few times a week. I don't plan on getting a 'tan' but will continue with the sunlight therapy for health reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back! I just feel so passionate about this issue because I know first hand the importance of moderate sunlight. No doctor told me. Somehow women over forty (reaching an age of decreased bone strength) have got to be given this information. I'm not exactly sure why we are not told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure either, honestly. I think it may have something to do with the fact that (as my doctor, himself, admitted), they don't always know a lot about nutritional things like vitamin deficiencies. They spend all their time focusing on treating the results of the deficiency but don't always focus on the causes.
    Most of my clients are females ranging from 30-50 and every single one has a serious "D" deficiency. My mother is 58 and has one as well. It's becoming something of an epidemic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 2 theories as to why they don't tell us:

    1) because so many people abuse the sun (tanning bed)

    2) because they don't make any money by referring people to the sun (tanning bed)& they do by writing perscriptions

    Just saying....

    The sun (tanning bed) is the best, most affective, natural way to treat Vitamin D deficiency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you completely, Lori. Even my mother who used to think any sun was bad for you has finally come around to seeing the "light" and started using tanning beds herself.

    ReplyDelete